FEDS HARASSING ED ROSENTHAL(author of Marijuana Growers Guide)
ARON KAY
2006-09-10 22:38:20 UTC
FEDS HARASSING ED ROSENTHAL(author of Marijuana Growers Guide)

As you know I was placed on trial in 2003 for providing marijuana starter
plants to medical marijuana distribution centers. The exact charges were
manufacture, providing a place to manufacture and conspiracy. The jury found
me guilty.

Within four days of the trial eight of the jurors repudiated the verdict.
They had learned the whole truth and told the media that they felt that they
had been used and worse. One of the jurors revealed that she had consulted a
lawyer about the trial while she was a juror.

After considering all the facts of the case the judge sentenced me to one
day in prison, time served. I appealed the conviction on three grounds:
improper actions by the juror, the fact that I was a city officer should
have exempted me from prosecution under federal law and that even if I was
not protected I had been led to believe I was by proper authorities.

The 9th circuit reversed the conviction on the basis of improper actions by
the juror and held that I could be re-tried. On August 30 the judge held a
status hearing and ruled that according to law the trial must start by the
end of October. In addition, this time I will be tried with three
co-defendants. Two of those people were subpoenaed by a grand jury and have
refused to testify.

This is an extremely important case for the government. They hope that a win
here against me will give them a pass to attack all providers functioning
under the California Medical Law, then they will move on to decimate
progress made in the other states with medical marijuana laws. As you
probably know, the federal authorities closed all of the medical facilities
in San Diego. If we win it will be a major setback for the government's
efforts to contain the medical marijuana phenomenon.

Our success, not guilty verdicts, will send a message to the government that
the public will not tolerate federal interference in the state medical
program.

I am attempting to assemble the legal team now. Each of the four of us is
interviewing attorneys and we are planning a joint legal strategy.

As you probably guessed I am writing to you seeking funding for this very
costly trial. The last trial, which cost over $350,000, used up most of my
savings and a good part of my company's working capital. It left me in a
critical, vulnerable position financially. I don't have the money to finance
a trial for myself and my co-defendants are in worse positions than I am. We
expect the trial to cost around $500,000.

Could you help us finance this trial so that we can protect medical
marijuana users throughout the country?

Since my finances are depleted I don't have the funds to mount the defense
my co-defendants and I require. Unless we can raise money very quickly we
will be left to federal public defenders.

We are trying to recruit qualified attorneys to work at a reduced rate. Even
if they do they will need funds for various court expenses as well as
publicity. This is a critical moment and I am reaching out to my friends, to
political activists and to all who have voiced concern about this issue as
well as my well being. Please help the four of us fight these laws. Give us
the tools so we can win this battle.

You have shown great courage in being so outspoken about marijuana. I'm sure
you understand the importance of this case. Perhaps some of your friends who
are not so outspoken could also help.

Any gifts to Green-Aid, The Marijuana Legal Defense and Education Fund are
tax deductible. It is a 501.(c)3 non-profit corporation.

Thank you for reading this and for your consideration. I welcome all ideas
and referrals.

Yours truly,

Ed Rosenthal

Green Aid - Postal Mail Box 172, 484Lake Park Avenue, Oakland, CA 94610
Online www.green-aid.com

My phone 510-290-5993.

----------------------------------------------------------------- ARON
PIEMAN KAY- BONGS NOT BOMBS! NO TO DUMBYA'S RAW DEAL! http://www.pieman.org
KEEP FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT FOR PEACE AND JUSTICE!
viet nam vet.
2008-11-05 23:38:27 UTC
Post by ARON KAY
Our success, not guilty verdicts, will send a message to the government that
the public will not tolerate federal interference in the state medical
program.
and an up-date;

http://www.NewsLI.com/2008/11/05/national-sweep-for-marijuana-reform/

November 5, 2008

Massachusetts Decriminalizes Possession in Historic First; Michigan
Becomes 13th Medical Marijuana State

(Washington, D.C.) Defying the scare tactics of state and local
officials, voters in Massachusetts and Michigan gave current marijuana
policies a resounding vote of no confidence Tuesday. Massachusetts
voters approved the first marijuana decriminalization initiative ever
passed by voters, Michigan voters enacted the nation¹s 13th medical
marijuana law, and local reform measures appeared to be passing in
several communities.

³Tonight¹s results represent a sea change,² said Rob Kampia, executive
director of the Marijuana Policy Project, which sponsored the
Massachusetts and Michigan campaigns. ³Voters have spectacularly
rejected eight years of the most intense government war on marijuana
since the days of ŒReefer Madness.¹²

In Michigan, White House drug czar John Walters personally campaigned
against Proposal 1, calling it an ³abomination.² In Massachusetts, all
11 district attorneys warned of huge increases in teen marijuana use
and other dire consequences should Question 2 pass, even though
studies in the 11 states with similar laws, as well as Australia and
Europe, have found no such increases due to decriminalization. Under
Question 2, criminal penalties for possession of an ounce or less of
marijuana will be replaced by a civil fine of $100, much like a
traffic ticket.

Several local reform initiatives appear on ballots around the country.
For a complete list as well as their results as they become available,
visit http://www.mpp.org/library/2008-ballot-initiatives.html.

³Last year an American was arrested on marijuana charges once every 36
seconds, which is more arrests for marijuana possession alone than for
all violent crimes combined.² Kampia said. ³Our ideologically stunted
marijuana policies have been a catastrophic failure, and the voters
have loudly said, ŒEnough!¹ Marijuana prohibition is about to take its
place next to alcohol Prohibition on the ash heap of history.²

Michigan¹s vote makes that state the 13th to protect medical marijuana
patients from arrest. One in four Americans now live in a state with
such protections. Barack Obama has pledged an end to federal raids on
patients and caregivers obeying state medical marijuana laws should he
become president.

Copyright 2008 Newsline Inc.
--
Money; What a concept !